Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pages of Summer: Wuthering Heights


THE BOOK: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

THE SUMMARY (SparkNotes totally writes these better! But I’ll practice): Quite simply this novel traces the tragic downfall of one family that resides in the Wuthering Heights estate. But the romance between the wealthy somewhat spoiled Catherine and the adopted orphan christened Heathcliff. We follow them through a dark and gloomy childhood an even darker and manipulative adulthood filled with death, hauntings, madness and ultimately the decay of a family on the wild moors of England.

THAT’S WHAT HE/SHE SAID:


“"They DO live more in earnest, more in themselves, and less in surface, change, and frivolous external things. I could fancy a love for life here almost possible; and I was a fixed unbeliever in any love of a year's standing."

"'And I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered DO haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts HAVE wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! Only DO not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I CANNOT live without my life! I CANNOT live without my soul!'"

POINTS OF INTEREST:
When the novel was initially published, it was believed that her brother Branwell (a drunk and a believed opium addict) published the work.
Emily Bronte’s sister Charlotte edited Wuthering Heights after her sisters death, as the initial additions were riddled with errors, and in Charolette’s introduction she expresses concern in the reception of the novel, and that her sister was insane for writing it.
Recently there is a Wuthering Heights Twilight comparison edition. I haven’t touched it… I mean really?! I just don’t see how they compare… but that raging is for another day…
In the 1939 film the story was moved forward about 40 years and the costumes were those of the early Victorian era, even though many writers about the film say that film was set in the Georgian period (which was before the Regency period (in which it is originally set). Weird….
With that being said (my facts being doubled checked via TCM movie network) watch the 1939 film. While rather different from the book there are several scenes that every time I read the novel (as I’ve now read it four times) always cross my mind. And you get some time with Mr. Laurence Olivier… and that’s not so bad is it?

WHY MY HEART BEATS FOR THIS TEXT: For starters, its dark. Really dark. I mean when I originally picked it up for class I was like… meh it can’t be that bad… it’s only considered a Gothic novel, but really? My mind was a little fuzzy from the very first time I came in constant with this novel, in middle school (I barely read halfway through an abridged edition. Horrifying I know) But after having read it for my Literary Critisim course this year, and again for pleasure, I get a little giddy at the darkness. It really is amazing how Bronte writes in such a way that you can draw the gruesomeness out every word. One scene that really got me to that point was actually in the beginning of the novel, where our “outsider” narrator, Lockwood is visited by the ghost of Catherine Earnshaw. The image made my skin get all goose bumpy. The novel is definitely one of those that you cannot just look away from. It really makes you wonder how dysfunction can function. The relationship you develop with the characters, at least for me is an interesting one. I felt a roller coaster, of pity, disgust, happiness (rarely), anger and a torrid of other uneasy feelings while reading. However I never faced boredom. If you want a a bit of a mental struggle I would say read it, especially if you have a bit of a dark side, but if you have a light constitution be wary and probably only read it in the day time.

WHAT AM I READING NEXT (OR RATHER NOW): Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lindsey, nice to meet you! :-))

    Hahaha, I'm glad Sara Mari recommended me! She is such a sweetheart!
    Thanks for following my blog, I'm following your back as well!

    I wish you good luck on my giveaway, too!

    Many greetings from Germany! :-))

    ReplyDelete