Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pages of Summer: Pride and Prejudice














BLOG SERIES TWO: PAGES OF SUMMER! FIRST POST!!!

THE BOOK: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and as a bonus… Pride Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

THE SUMMARY (SparkNotes totally writes these better! But I’ll practice): Published in 1813 this is perhaps one of Jane Austen’s most famous novels. Set in Regency era England, we meet the Bennet family, namely one Elizabeth Bennet. The novel follows the plight of women at the time. Making a suitable match. We see the ups and down of the shy and yet endearing relationship of Ms. Jane Bennet and the wealthy Mr. Bingley. But the story that really draws this novel to the forefront is the roller coaster romance between Elizabeth and the brooding Mr. Darcy. Initially the only sparks that fly are witty and certainly make a zing when they hit their mark, but in following these two it seems impossible that those sparks should eventually warm the hearts of both parties.

All that excitement got your bustle in a bunch… well wait until Mr. Grahame-Smith throws zombies into the mix!

THAT’S WHAT HE/SHE SAID:
“I cannot fix on the hour, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.” –Mr. Darcy to Elizabeth on the origin of his love.
“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.” –Opening narration of Pride Prejudice and Zombies

POINTS OF INTEREST:
Watch the adaptations: Namely the most recent. 2005’s blockbuster starring Kiera Knightly and the dashingly handsome Matthew Macfayden. Darcy’s confession, not totally accurate, but just beautiful cinematography throughout!!! Visually stunning!!! LOVE IT! And the 1995 British TV miniseries with the ever wonderful Colin Firth, and watch the miniseries if not only for the visual yummies but for that one scene, white shirt, pond… oh yes Mr. Darcy! *hits pause on the remote* The UK has also recently mothered a miniseries called Lost in Austen… pretty good, not great but enjoyable.
Follow the side trails: Much like my mention of adding Zombies to the mix try some other fun times on for size, numerous volumes of sequels have been printed with the renewed love of this classic. Or try a fun choose your own adventure, Lost in Austen by Emma Campbell Webster is a fun way to pass a wintery evening or two.

WHY MY HEART BEATS FOR THIS TEXT: Where do I even start! We can set aside the fact that I’m as HOPELESS of a romantic as they come, in my tastes of what to read. I have to say I love everything about this novel… okay not everything Mr. Collins can throw himself off the nearest cliff, but overall, major love for this work. I think I mostly speak to the visuals from this book, Austen is really particular in building a surrounding and I don’t exactly mean from describing the setting but her narration really draws you in and the character descriptions and commentary are splendid. I think like many great novels, it is the characters that keep you hooked. Pride and Prejudice is no exception, I’ve read the novel a few times now and each time I turn the pages with anticipation for the next words to come flying from the mouth of Elizabeth or the splendid telling of events. Austen really makes the glue from a linguistic point of view for the time, between her and the Bronte sisters I get giddy with the language. There is something about that rather prescriptive and “polite” English of the era that just makes me was to giggle with delight, but perhaps its just me!

One word. Zombies. Can I thank the muses for these wonderful undead creatures… or some nerdy kiddo in his basement? Either way some of my favorite things have risen from the dead (okay to some extent I’m kidding). You need to take this adaptation with rock salt. It isn’t quality literature even though Ms. Austen is infused almost seamlessly throughout. I was a little wary at first of Elizabeth and the other girls Bennet being armed with muskets and machetes, and distributing kick ass martial arts like calling cards, but taking it at face value for sheer suspension of disbelief it’s a blast! Complete with illustrations (everyone loves pictures). Pick this novel up for a good all be it mildly gory thrill. And people, there’s a film in the works for it! I smell some twisted awesomeness coming our way!!!

WHAT AM I READING NEXT (OR RATHER NOW): Here’s what to come, I think Wuthering Heights is up next. I finished it at essentially the beginning of the summer, but its another novel that’s too good NOT to share!

PS: Lemme know what you think of the book!!! Pride and Prejudice that is!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun idea, book reviews! You clever girl. I confess, haven't read Austin but loved the movies... Currently Gab is reading a Vicky Bliss out loud to me while I cook dinner and wash up...It's heaven...I feel so spoiled. I'm re-reading The Undaunted Garden, planning my new one at Cabin#5.

    ReplyDelete