Sunday, November 7, 2010

So. Change In Plans

Class seems like its nearly killing me! So much work but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, graduation is just over a year away! But I will be thankful for Thanksgiving break with Reagan and my family in San Diego!

I've been pretty negligent in my posting here my blogger but yesterday I had tea ceremony (at Tom's outdoor tea room it was a beautiful autmn day PERFECT for tea!! I wanted to cry it was so perfect!) and because of it I think I'm about to make a huge life decision.

As you all know, I've been wanting to teach in Japan for so long and I'm actually getting excited to teach as I work more with students, like those in the IEP here at CSU. I know it will be totally different in Japan but I really wanna do this.

That being said, yesterday's tea conversation turned to the Midori Kai Tea School and their scholarship for foreign tea students. There has been a little conversation about it with Mike-先生 and Christy-先生 has spoken of it, and I've always thought it was a neat opportunity, as I really am developing a passion for Japanese Tea Ceremony. However yesterday really has convinced me that its something I feel I should pursue further... like apply for it, further. Everyone in the tea group (at least those present) support the idea, including Mike who seemed really excited that I want to apply.

I would spend a year in Kyoto tuition, room, board, meals and living expenses covered (1,000 dollars a month), and everyday of that year I would spend every waking moment with tea. Mike said it would be difficult especially for the women as we live in a dormitory with pretty strict rules (like a curfew), and do a lot of cleaning but that wouldn't really bother me.

I would be in KYOTO of all places!!! This is a place in Japan that has really fascinated me, there is just so much tradition and a uniqueness that I can't place on anywhere else. I would get to experience so much and be in the company of some of the most talented people in our tea lineage. Also Sayumi lives there! I would get to see her like all the time, and I do miss her soo much.

Another thing aside from the aspect of studying a new found passion, once that year is up, I may take an apprenticeship with a sweet shop in Kyoto (if possible), since the sweets are one of my favorite things about tea. There is a tea teacher in Boston who when I go to visit Reagan I may have a chance to meet, and he is an expert in making sweets) So that would put me at least a year and a half from teaching in Japan which was my original plan. However I feel that I just can't pass this up and it seems like the perfect time for me to take on a challenge like this. I would be in Japan regardless, just instead of working I would be pursuing a passion.

I'm pretty sure my parents would say go for it because they always support me (and I love them for that) and I know I can count on Reagan to support me, he doesn't understand I don't think but he's happy when I'm happy and is always willing to understand and support me. So I guess I have to break the news. I've been thinking about it for awhile and now with only a year of school left I think now its time to start working towards it.

So much for having plans right?

2 comments:

  1. That is a great plan!! I really hope you can apply for your stay in Kyoto!! I support you too whererever I can :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how exciting! Wow! I can so see you doing this! Kyoto! Ahh sigh! Lovely...Now let me understand this...graduate college, then go to tea school? Put off teaching? I can see this all working together to make a very 'diversified' employee! So when do Gab and I get our very own tea party? Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete